2/2 bags: Oliver + S toddler backpack



A very practical toddler backpack that isn't covered in licensed cartoon characters is hard to find. So I made my own. I love the navy/orange combination & also the individuality of this bag (so you can't mistake it for anyone else's).

Pattern: Penguin Backpack, Oliver +  S (obviously I didn't use the optional penguin styling pieces- although I think they are super cute). From Book Little Things to Sew
Fabric: Navy-white stripe cotton canvas, IKEA. Lining, cotton chambray, Spotlight. (Both stash)
Also used: High-vis neon orange bias binding (front stripe), orange travel strapping. White strap connectors. Navy plastic heavy duty zip. -Lincraft.

Some notes:
  • I found the Oliver + S book at my local library & traced the pattern. The directions were great & the bag came together very easily. 
  • I added in a front hanging loop to make the bag easier to carry, and allow for less strain if there was just one hanging strap. Of course I end up carrying the backpack more often than little Q wearing it, so that was just a practical addition. 
  • I topstitched with a neon thread to add a little pop of colour to match the strapping.
  • To use up some scraps, the shoulder straps are cut on the bias. It adds a cute design feature & as the bag will never be heavily loaded up I am not worried about them stretching out much. 
  • I lined the bag with some chambray scraps I had, & added a pocket with a name label ironed onto it. I then slip stitched the lining into the bag (the instructions get you to anchor the seams by machine first within the bag before hand sewing it in. Very clever!)
  • This bag only cost me the notions/hardware. I think $12 all up!



Popular posts from this blog

Almada Robe : a Lovefest

Baggage :: Portside Duffle and Desmond Backpack

Tencel Colfax Dress