a pair of sleeveless Grainline Archer shirts

two sleeveless archers. I love seeing all the appreciation for this great pattern. I wanted the challenge of making a button up, collared shirt & knew this pattern would be perfect to teach me some new techniques (inserting a yoke, collar, button band). I found the instructions so clear and simple. Here's my notes on both my makes.

The first
fabric: vintage thin cotton, ?double gauze? almost like a thin cheesecloth? From my stash (I think even stolen from my mums stash!). Buttons, thrifted.
Pattern: Grainline Archer
Cut: Size 10.
 
This is my first wearable Archer (first = quick muslin). It's a loose fit on me, but will be the perfect breezy top for our Australian summer. I followed Jen's instructions to shave a bit off the armholes to make a neater, sleeveless finish. I made view B, with the ruffles at the back. It really adds a lovely femininity to the top, and makes it that little bit longer so I can wear leggings with it. I added a small bust dart to gather in the fit, probably due to cutting a slightly larger size than I needed. I used satin bias binding to finish the armholes.





The second: 
fabric: thin black cotton from my stash. Black poly/cotton used as facing for yoke & button band. Black polycotton bias binding for armhole binding. thrifted buttons.

A very similar make to my pink one.  I made this one a little more fitted, taking it in on the side seams, more at the waist.
I spent a lot of time figuring out which way was the right/wrong side of this black fabric (there is a slight pattern woven into it. Do i want the bumpy side out or in?). I changed my mind after cutting it out, so the button placket is on the left, not right side.
I think I'll change the clear white buttons for black ones. Otherwise I love this basic addition to my wardrobe. It's such a classic, easy style that will get a lot of wear this summer. (note: brown crunchy grass & rusty shed = Australian summer at its best).



following; more pictures of both ..







Popular posts from this blog

Almada Robe : a Lovefest

Baggage :: Portside Duffle and Desmond Backpack

Tencel Colfax Dress