striped ruched maternity skirt


My new motto in life is: "embrace the bump". I've definitely hit that stage of my pregnancy where the bump is obvious & (in my opinion!) cute. I'd bought the Ruched Maternity Skirt pattern by the fabulous Megan Nielsen a few months ago & I'm so glad I did. It really makes getting dressed in the morning pretty easy, in a stage where finding things to fit is a bit hard! The beauty of this pattern is that this skirt covers the bump. Which means I can wear non-maternity tops (that wouldn't otherwise fit) very easily by tying a simple knot in them. 


A few notes:


  • I bought the PDF pattern and it goes together SO easily- only two pattern pieces (there's a third only if you add the optional frill)
  • I cut a size medium, and with this fabric is a great fit. Like Megan mentions in the instructions, you need a pretty stretchy knit fabric for this make (minimum 40% stretch & she explains how to figure out what % your fabric is). If your knit is a bit stable, I'd definitely go up a size. 
  • The fabric is a lovely Cotton Viscose Lycra from The Fabric Store. Well, that's what I think it is. I bought a whole heap of knit fabrics in their recent sale & trying to remember exactly what everything is is a bit of a nightmare. I need to take photos of the fabric tags when I go shopping. What do you do to remember??
  • Construction was super easy & super quick, thanks to the great instructions. I serged the side seams, then just used a zigzag stitch for the waistband & hems & ruching elastic. 
  • The heavy-ish fabric means I might find this a bit hot as it heats up here in Queensland. I'll just chop to to a below-waist skirt, which will also be great once bebe is here.



I can't wait to try a dress-hack with this pattern. I think it will be my go-to uniform as the days are getting hotter.

Popular posts from this blog

Almada Robe : a Lovefest

Baggage :: Portside Duffle and Desmond Backpack

Tencel Colfax Dress