Darcy Boxer Shorts

I've read a few sewing posts lately about "fast sewing", and the shortcuts people take. While I do think it's great to streamline your sewing to suit yourself, I'm totally guilty of not reading/following instructions & not taking the time to fit properly. Even if I do make fitting changes I'm not very consistent in marking those changes on my pattern for next time. Add to that my growing baby bump and not wanting to make something that will only last a short while wearing-wise. 

All this is to say: I've had a few sewing fails lately that have just left me frustrated (and mostly at myself for cutting corners). So I needed a project to make me slow down... Something easy that I knew the end result would be totally "satisfaction guaranteed".

I downloaded the (free!) Darcy Boxer Shorts pattern from Measure Twice/Cut Once a few weeks ago and then saw Jo's make over at Jo-Sews. This was the perfect pattern just to make me focus on my sewing & finishes. 


A few notes
  • It's a great little pattern, giving varying instructions for female & male versions. I think the fly front is a cute addition even on the gals shorts.
  • I used a (stash piece) Japenese cotton from Spotlight. A cute print, and perfect weight/texture for sleep shorts.
  • I sewed the Large size and they give a roomy but comfortable fit (which is what you want in a sleep pant, right?)
  • While I made the shorts up almost to the letter, I did topstitch the fly closed & omitted the button holes as I wouldn't use that feature. 
  • I also made a casing for my elastic (just folded down the waistband) because I envisage altering the elastic length as this belly grows/shrinks). I also didn't have any nice soft elastic in my stash that would look/feel good enough in the exposed band suggested. I love this feature & totally want to make up a pair for The Mister. 
  • Next time for the next ladies version (there will definitely be a next time!) I'll cut two of the Left Front piece, (omit the Fly Facing piece) and just make a faux fly. I prefer not having the extra bulk that the (interfaced) fly piece gives when I'm not using that feature. But! I appreciated following the instructions and trying something different for boxers.


fly front

cute side hem detail

So, just a few hours of  sewing gave me a cute pair of sleep shorts & a healthy reminder that it's not a bad thing to be a bit more disciplined in my sewing :)

I'm joining in with the Shorts on the Line competition too :)



Popular posts from this blog

Almada Robe : a Lovefest

@sew_everyday update

Baggage :: Portside Duffle and Desmond Backpack