Thursday, January 30, 2014

Knit Wiksten Tank Dress



fabric - off white, navy stripe merino knit, the fabric store (brisbane)
This is my summer uniform. Hello stripes! I love the Wiksten tank dress & because the pattern is so simple & has no dart I knew a knit fabric would make it even more perfect. I just used a smaller size to account for the fabric stretch. Easy! I love the shape of the hem, and the slight difference in front & back lengths. 
This fabric is so lovely. We have a hot summer here in Queensland & merino wool is renowned for its cool-in-summer & warm-in-winter properties. This fabric doesn't disappoint! I've worn this dress on some our hottest days so far & it's very comfortable, moreso than a woven because you don't need to worry about it crushing. I have a bit left & can't wait to make a 3/4 autumn top out of it (a hemlock tee maybe?).
A few constuction notes
  • needles: ball point needles, and twin ballpoint needle to finish hem, arm holes & neckline. Also ballpoint needles in the serger (not sure is this really necessary, but didn't want to risk this lovely fabric).
  • Used a walking foot.
  • Cut the smallest size (XS) to account for fabric stretch (at least one size smaller than i would cut for a woven). Took out 2cm from CB at neckline, grading to nothing at hem.
  • Serged side seams instead of french seams.
  • Serged hem then foled up 1/4inch & sewed with twin needle.
  • neck & arms finished with self bias (cut on grain, not bias). For the neck I made a feature out of the bias. For the arms I just turned it all in. I used some elastic to stablise the shoulder seams, although I don't think i really needed to. Better to be safe than sorry, right?
I wear it mostly with a belt but even without it's a great little dress.






hem - serged then turned up & sewed with a double needle.

One final (rushed) pic as I head out the door. 



4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Looks like a dress I've been eyeing off from Viktoria & Woods, I must have missed this fabric when I went to the Fabric Store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just had a looksee at Viktoria & Woods, love their minimalist style (exactly what I was going for here!)

      Delete
  2. This is so cute and practical. I've thought about getting this pattern many time, you are so right the little shape details really make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great summer shift. I can see it maybe over a long-sleeve top in winter (like a pinafore too). Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete