Denim Maritime Shorts







fabric - loose weave denim, spotlight
pattern - maritime shorts, grainline studio


I'm trying to take the time to sew the things I wear on a daily basis. And with a little boy to follow around all day, these Maritime Shorts from Grainline fit the bill easily.

Like a few other sewers,  I had to adjust the centre back seam. After making a wearable muslin, I sewed a size 10 & changed the back pieces accordingly:
  • took in approximately 2cm from the centre back seam
  • added 2 darts, both in the centre of the two back pieces (approximately in the middle of where the top of the pockets sit). I made sure I didn't sew on the pockets until I could try the shorts on to fit. Both darts take in about a 1.5cm each.
  • I then adjusted the length of the waistband to fit the changes made.

 Because of the loose weave of this denim, I knew these shorts would stretch & loosen during wear. I usually wear a belt but I wanted to do something to keep the fit snug all day long. In a favourite pair of RTW shorts, the back waistband has elastic added to it. I thought this was a great idea that would fix this problem - and I was right! I added some 3cm elastic into the back portion of the waistband. I didn't stretch it too much, you can't really tell it's there. And because these are fairly casual pants I think it looks ok, and practically makes for a snug fit all day long.

I don't really love sewing fly fronts. There, I've said it.
I added belt loops following a Colletterie tutorial.
I also made them slightly longer (?3cm).

I bought a decent yardage of this denim so of course had to make a matching pair for my son (with the promise to never wear them at the same time. That's a bit too matchy-matchy for me!!). I used the MADE kid shorts, racer variation.



The final pic shows me wearing these shorts, in my best mum-pose (making sure the kid doesn't fall off) on the jetty on Fraser Island, Australia's largest sand island.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Maternity Jamie Jeans

laser cut leather clutch

Tencel Colfax Dress