Sunday, August 7, 2016

Emerson & Archer

Two new makes in this post - the Emerson Shorts by True Bias & a Grainline Archer (fairly modified).

I started the shirt about this time last year, trying to make it before an overseas trip. I got up to sewing on the sleeves (no plackets or collar) before I had to let it sit unfinished (I didn't want to rush this make! The fabric was too lush). Once we got home from our holiday it was summer so I left it until it cooled down again. I guess you could say it is definitely "slow fashion" and worth the wait!

The shorts are the new Emerson Shorts pattern by True Bias, which just about jumped into my cart the second they were released, and made up pretty soon after that. So I guess these are more a "fast fashion" make! They are exactly what I wanted in a summer short- pockets and an elastic waist, but not too frumpy! I am envisioning many more in my future! Those True Bias patterns are totally my jam, I love the fit and the modern designing too (see, Southport & Colfax).

There are some making-notes below, if you're interested. Happy sewing, friends!!

Modified Grainline Archer

  • Fabric- plaid shirting 100% cotton from The Fabric Store last year. This stuff is gorgeous! I am totally reminded that quality fabric is worth it. 
  • Pattern modifications- mandarin collar, placket cut on the bias, yoke extended into the front with some gathers added. Fitting notes similar to this make.
  • I was a bit nervous about all that plaid matching, but just used all the tutorials I could find on the sewing interwebs. It was easiest to cut and see a few pieces at a time, which gave me a better feel for what I needed, where. 

Emerson shorts

  • Fabric is a Cotton/Linen blend from Spotlight. I'm hoping the addition of cotton will minimise the creasing a little bit (although I do like a little bit of rumple!) Colour is indigo. 
  • Size made- 10 - I used my hip measurement as the more important number. I made no fit changes, and I'm super happy with the result.
  • I do love a cuff, so I hemmed these shorts on the right side into a faux cuff. Basically I hemmed them completely opposite way (turned the wrong side out to the right side. Both sides of my fabric were identical). Because the side seams (serged) were visible, I used some self bias strips to give a Hong Kong finish.