Chambray Kate Top

Summer sewing is in full swing! I couldn't resist one of the newer patterns by Tessuti Fabrics - the Kate Top. Tank tops are daily wear around here so I knew I couldn't go wrong. And also, they're running a competition if you sew it up! Run don't walk, friends!



The Kate top is a boxy-cropped tank (on trend!). I found some delicious chambray at The Fabric Store (Brisbane). All the cool kids are wearing chambray but I've never been able to find the right fabric. This one is a lovely weight and colour. I do like breezy tops and worried the chambray would be too hot for summer, but made up this top has a lovely structure while still keeping me cool.


Some notes
  • I made view A - scoop neck.
  • After a muslin in size Small, I decided to cut an X-Small. I added seam allowances and made a CF and CB seam for detail/decoration. The fit is great on me! 
  • I used the exposed binding (self bias) and loved the idea of contrasting topstitching so went a bit crazy on the CF, CB, hem and binding.
  • I added a pocket! A ridiculously small pocket: I used the template from the Tiny Pocket Tank by Grainline Studio. 
  • I will definitely be using the clean method Tessuti use to sew the side-split/hem. It does add a few extra steps but it's not hard and definitely gives a professional finish.
  • I sewed in a little Tessuti label in the back, along the seam. 
  • The tank is pretty short, I'm happy with the length but I am also pretty short (165cm). Taller ladies beware!

All in all a great top, definitely some of my best sewing (nothing like a competition to bring out the perfectionist in me!). 






Popular posts from this blog

Almada Robe : a Lovefest

@sew_everyday update

Baggage :: Portside Duffle and Desmond Backpack